Join Our Annual Fund Donation Campaign!
The Cartoon Art Museum has begun an ambitious Annual Fund Donation Campaign running now through March 2017 with the backing of two new corporate contributions from Andrews McMeel Universal and IDW Publishing, a new location in Fisherman’s Wharf opening in Spring 2017 and a new state of the art website. The museum is encouraging those who donate to celebrate their contribution by tagging the Cartoon Art Museum on your favorite social media platform!
Letter from the Executive DirectorThis December marks the Cartoon Art Museum’s 32nd year—and one of the most exciting in our history as we prepare to move to a wonderful new location in San Francisco. We have assembled a talented team of professionals to assist with our transition to a new space, and we want to take this opportunity to invite you to join us on this amazing journey. As the oldest museum in the United States dedicated exclusively to original cartoon art, we have updated our mission to ignite imaginations and foster the next generation of visual storytellers by celebrating the rich history of the art form, its role in society, and its universal appeal. Your support during our transition is essential and will help us achieve this mission! While we are extending all of our memberships during this hiatus, your contribution now will keep the momentum going and support all of the classes, exhibitions, lectures, and other programs we are presenting to the public. We’ve hosted a tremendous variety of events this year, and we will continue partnering with museums, libraries, and other organizations to present more events and exhibitions before we open the doors of our new home next spring. Please check our Facebook page, Twitter, newsletter, and website for new updates. Through November and December, IDW and Andrews McMeel Universal challenge Cartoon Art Museum supporters to match their contributions of $10,000. Please join us in our exciting journey by making a 100% tax-deductible* contribution today!
Traveling Exhibitions and Events
- Traveling Cartoonists-in-Residence
- Monthly Traveling Third Thursdays
- Alphabet Exhibit at SOMArts
- Queer Comics Expo
- MazeToons at the Children’s Creativity Museum
- Adult Workshops
- Parent-Child Classes
- Monthly Cartooning Classes for Kids and Teens
- Cartoon Boot Camp at the American Bookbinders Museum
- Offsite Classes: Camps, Schools & Libraries
All Aboard!The Cartoon Art Museum’s vision for our new location is to be the premier destination to experience cartoon art in all its many forms from around the world and to provide insight into the creative process. We plan to create a place for everyone to experience original cartoon art up close, meet creators, be inspired, create a dialogue, and open their eyes to cartoons in the world around them. We have brought together a tremendous team to guide us with the move to our new site, including Capital Campaign consultant Sharon Tanenbaum, Project Manager Kimberly Edmonds, Press and Marketing Consultants David Perry & Associates, Architect Robert Geering, FAIA, Aetypic Architects, and the staff of the Northern California Community Loan Fund. As our relocation plans continue, we look forward to re-opening our doors to the public in the spring of 2017. We are very excited and can’t wait to reveal our new space!
Thanks for your Support!
Major Donors (FY2016)
ANGELS: ($10K and up)
- Eric Roberts Foundation
- Grants for the Arts – S.F. Hotel Tax Fund
- Jean Schulz
- Malcolm and Karen Whyte
- Walt and Lilly Disney Foundation
FRIENDS: ($1K and up)
- Angus MacLane
- Coast Counties Property Management
- David Yu
- George Lucas Family Foundation
- Lawrence Kashar
- Mericos Foundation
- The Hilda and Freddie Fu Fund
SUPPORTERS: ($100 and up)
- Andrew Kevin Walker, Barbara Robb, Bil Keane, Inc., Bradley Rader, Brian Peck, Brian Walker, California College of the Arts, Cathy Maupin, Charles Knapp, Comics Experience, Curtis Canaday, Dan Brereton, David Chai, David Hook, Debra Browne, Dennis J. Kelly, Elizabeth Guy, Emily Burns, Eric Morey, Frank Norick, James & Marcia Allegretti, Jeff Freedman, John Butler, L. Gaye Hirz, Lucy Caswell, Lynn Gabbay, Michael Orlovsky, Mick Gray, Mission: Comics and Art, Noah Gaspar, Northwest Press, Peter Conrad, Prism Comics, Robert Geering, Robyn Bald, Ronald Schwartz, Shell Games, Shioko Anderson, Thomas Huey, Tom Gammill, Vincent Russo, Viz Comics, LLC, Wendy Swenson, William Denk
Board of Trustees:
- Chair | Ron Evans
- Vice Chair | Dr. Michael B. Johnson
- Founder / Chair Emeritus | Malcolm Whyte
- John Butler
- Mischa McLachlan
Executive Director | Summerlea Kashar Curator | Andrew Farago Program Coordinator | Nina Taylor Kester Graphics Consultant | Julie Davis
Remember to celebrate your contribution by tagging the Cartoon Art Museum on your favorite social media platform!*100% tax deductible to the full extent of the law. Contributions do not count towards Cartoon Art Museum memberships.